It is never too early to start reading to your baby. Research has shown that children whose parents read to them when they are young learn to speak, read and write more easily. Even though they may not understand the words that you read to them, they love hearing the sound of your voice and they learn that reading is important and fun. It is also a wonderful opportunity to bond with your baby.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Try and read with your baby every day. Find a time when they are happy and interested in what is happening around them.
- If they get tired or restless it is ok to stop. You don’t have to finish the book.
- Babies like books that have bright, clear and simple pictures. They enjoy books about things they are familiar with such as animals, food, toys and other babies! Board books are great for babies as they will want to grab the pages, put them in their mouth and throw them. This is ok, it’s how they learn.
- You don’t have to read the words that are written on the page, it’s ok to make up your own story.
- Try and make your voice as interesting as possible. Use different voices for the characters in the story, if there is an animal in the story make the sound the animal makes. All of this will help make reading fun and enjoyable for your baby.
Story time can be one of the most rewarding moments you can spend with a child and one that both of you will treasure for years to come.